Muzeum Śląskie (the Silesian Museum) was founded by a resolution of the Silesian Parliament of 23 January 1929 and operated until the outbreak of World War II in 1939. Reinstated in 1984, Muzeum Śląskie was entered in the State List of Museums in 2006. In 2015, the institution gained its new space, the modern premises at ul. T. Dobrowolskiego 1 in Katowice.
Some of the most valuable collections of Muzeum Śląskie are Polish painting before and after 1945, including works by Józef Chełmoński, Artur Grottger, Tadeusz Makowski, Jacek Malczewski, Jan Matejko, Józef Mehoffer and Stanisław Wyspiański, non-professional art, fine art and documentary photography, Polish posters, an extensive ethnographic collection, as well as exhibits related to Polish stage design.